Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Sides get cut off Toshiba 29L1350U, thinking of exchanging forInsignia NS-28E200NA14

On 09/02/2013 03:34 AM, Leif Neland wrote:
William Sommerwerck skrev:
"jaynews" wrote in message

Before swapping, find out /exactly/ what these displays are supposed
to do,
and how they operate. Find an older (good luck!) salesperson to
assist you.

I doubt any salesperson would be able to tell me what 480 pixel
widescreen
material will look like (i.e. whether the sides get cut off) on the
Insignia.

Ah. So you're talking about films that are transferred within a 16:9
letterbox, to be vertically compressed to restore the full widescreen
aspect ratio. You'll probably have to experiment with each display, to
see what it shows and doesn't show.

Some stupid stations are transmitting a 16:9 inside a 4:3 signal with
their logo at top and subtitles burned in at the bottom.

So on a 16:9 screen, there are black bars at the sides, and dark gray
bars at the top and bottom.

Most annoying, the resolution are probably 400x300 or something that low.

As far as I know there is no burn-in problem, other than with obsolete
CRTs or Plasma displays. LCDs do not burn in.