Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scroll saw, Part II

basilisk wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 07:08:09 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Gramps' shop wrote:
I guess I should have noted that my main interest is in cutting
concentric beveled circles for glueing up bowls for turning. Stock
will range to 6/4. This will just be an occasional endeavor, so I
want to limit the investment.

As well - Jeff mentioned that guys will stack stock in order to mass
produce cuts. Never gave that a thought will a saw like this,
though it does make sense. I didn't realize you could cut through
wood that thick with a scroll saw.

6/4 is still a lot for a scroll saw, I'll stack several layers of ply
sometimes and it will cut ok. 6/4's of solid wood is a different
beast, it will cut but progress is painfully slow, especially when
cutting with the grain.
I lack the patience to work this way, it's subjective and rate of
progress may be acceptable for some.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos this morning of guys cutting through
pretty thick stock with their scroll saws. It appears these were pretty
high end saws - in the neighborhood of $800 and up, as best as I can tell.
These guys most certainly have more patience than me - drilling holes,
threading the blade up through the hole, reattaching it and then nibbling
away to make some pretty intricate cuts. I'd have had my fill of that after
about the second time, and I'd have been reaching for my cutting torches...

--

-Mike-