Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_5_] Rick Hughes[_5_] is offline

Default Cutting notches

On 2013-09-02, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/09/2013 23:08, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a reasonable number of notches to be cut into 100 x 47 timbers

Want to cut cross slots 30mm deep so timbers will slot over some 200 x
47 beams, good enough for glue joints.

Want to do the job neatly, and I have 28 of them to do.

I notice that whenever they need to do this sort of thing on any of the
US shows (New Yankee Workshop for example) the use a Dado blade in a
bench saw.
I'm pretty sure you can't fit a Dado blade to most domestic saw benches
(I have a JCB model) only the large commercial machines.

Dado blades aren't allowed in the UK because of Effin Softy.

You're kidding, right? A google search yields dozens of UK sources.

I did a lot of searching on w/end on this .... Dado blades are not
something that can be attached to your average DIY saw table ... as
arbor length is not long enough.
Several DIY tables specifically state that a you must NOT fit a Dado blade.

They are available for Commercial (Wadkin etc.) table saws, but elfen
safely does come into this .... in a Commercial use, there is a required
maximum duration for blade to come to a stop after stop is pressed, and
fitting a Dado blade will normally cause saw to exceed this.

The way around is that they then have to fit a DC brake to ensure it
stops within required time.