JGS

Default Plunge or non-plunge router better under table?

Hi Brian,
The Triton's plunge spring can be removed in about 10 seconds and reinstalled
in about 15 seconds. Cheers, JG

Brian wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message news:X3kDc.8549

The Milwaukee is a beast and well made. Simple. Variable speed, fast
coarse adjustment, good fine tune height adjustment knob and the ability

make fine tune height adjustments "above" the table. It is also a 2

wrench
router which I GREATLY prefer over the single wrench models. BUT, I

found
that when the Milwaukee is upside down and you push the coarse adjustment
knob to make an adjustment, you better have a both hands on the router to
keep it from falling out of the fixed base.

True, but who cares? With fixed base routers, at one time or another you'll
be handling the motor to adjust the height. In the case of the Porter Cable
7518 (really the 2nd best option for a table IMO), you've got to spin and
spin and spin it to get it to height. Far less convenient than the
Milwaukee mechanism.

Speaking of convenience, plunging a router upside down seems to me to be
less than optimal. And having to adjust the depth stop constantly would
annoy me, although if the Triton has a toolless adjustment that might be
better. Does the Triton have a plunge spring defeat mechanism? That would
be desireable for use in a table. Though, I guess I just far prefer the
ability to quickly coarse adjust the motor to roughly where I want and then
fine tune from there than deal with a plunger under table. And the 5625-20
is ideal for that. By far the nicest table router I've used, but of course,
not cheap.

While the above table height
adjustment is a cool idea I can see the hole in the table top filling with
saw dust and clogging the mechanism even though there is a plastic cover
that opens when you push an adjustment tool through it.

Perhaps. But as you noted in another post, the above table adjust isn't
terribly advantageous. I've never used it.

Brian.