Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting notches

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
I have a reasonable number of notches to be cut into 100 x 47 timbers

Want to cut cross slots 30mm deep so timbers will slot over some 200 x 47
beams, good enough for glue joints.

Want to do the job neatly, and I have 28 of them to do.

I notice that whenever they need to do this sort of thing on any of the US
shows (New Yankee Workshop for example) the use a Dado blade in a bench
saw.
I'm pretty sure you can't fit a Dado blade to most domestic saw benches (I
have a JCB model) only the large commercial machines.

What is the neatest & consistent way of doing these ........ I know I
could mark out, use saw table to make shoulder cuts and chisel out the
rest ... but this will be slow and probably not end up as neat as I want.

I do have a Router table with a Trend T7 ... but not sure if there is an
easy way to use that. Certainly don't have a 47mm wide bit, so it would
require moving wood and bit several times - possibly end up inaccurate.

Any tips & hints ?

This is a poor method of jointing and not to be be recommended for strucural
work as it significantly weakens the whole job.

If this is for house construction the usual method is to use metal
joints/connectors which are nailed and far far stronger.

http://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/family_timber.php