Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scroll saw, Part II

Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks for the input on my earlier post. I'm going to look at this
one tomorrow:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/4038313621.html

It's a Craftsman, vintage 1940s. Owner says it weighs about 100
pounds and is almost vibration free.

I'll run some 6/4 walnut through it and see how it behaves. Anything
else I should be looking for?

Hey Larry - I'm not a scroll saw user, but I have to ask - is this the kind
of stock that you plan to run through this saw in normal use? Is 6/4 even a
realistic expectation for a scroll saw? I was under the impression they
were more for thinner woods like 1/4". Maybe I'm wrong...

All I'm saying is that your idea simply struck me as a bit of an overkill
sort of test - one that may not be appropriate for the tool. Overkill is
quite favorably looked upon here, by almost all of us, but overkill seldom
really serves the purpose we think it will.

--

-Mike-