Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Dryer Vent And Lint Question

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 19:33:32 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

My son has the typical home gas fired clothes Dryer, and a vent tube
leading to the outside.

I stuck my hand in it from the outside, and removed a fair amount of Lint.
But my hand, of course, would only go so far.

He was thinking of using my shop-vac, and inserting it from where it
exits on the outside.

Question: does he run "any" danger at all of extinguishing the dryer's
pilot light ? It's a pretty strong shop-vac.

If so, he would probably have to hire a plumber to re-light it, as he is
very "non-technical". Would like to avoid this, naturally.

(frankly, I am not even sure that there is a pilot light, but it is an
older dryer,and I doubt that it uses any electronic ignition scheme.
But, maybe ?)

Thanks,
Bob

The gas line pilot light is not at the dryer vent exhaust.

With access, inside, he can use the shop-vac inside to clean the dryer
exhaust.

Even a strong air line can blow the lint outwards and outside.

One tool, attached on the air line is a reverse solution. The line
blows back inside or outside.

See: "The Reverse nozzle pushes material towards the operator."

http://www.ductcleanersupply.com/Products_Detail.php?ProductID=69