Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint - still with the 'brush strokes' !!

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:05:56 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:51:38 -0700,

wrote:

...snip....

Agree with everything but the above. The normal procedure is

to edge around the whole room, let it dry, then come back

and roll the main area. You typically can't edge fast enough

so that it's not dry or half-dry by the time you get to roll it.

Not when you're cutting in to do a nice clean edge between

ceiling and wall, around windows, etc.

Also, switching back and forth from brush to roller, wastes time.

And it doesn't result in roller marks as long as you roll properly.

...snip...

You are correct to allow the paint to pretty much completely dry before

trying to overlap. Else, you get a 'gumming' that produces a slightly

different [and noticeable] texture change which shows through. But for

me, THAT technique does NOT work. My eye spots the overlap *and* the

change in texture between brush and roller.

OK, I think everyone here probably agrees that there is a
difference in texture between the edging done with a brush
and the rest of the wall with a roller. It's just that you
have to look real close and be looking for it to notice it.
That's different than what I thought the original issue was,
which was either brush marks being unacceptable and a roller
leaving marks. I also would think it would be more noticeable
with deep colors, higher sheen, etc.

How about edging with one of the pads? I usually use a brush,
but I have tried them. Not sure I looked that closely, but
it would seem the pads might leave a finish more like a roller.
But maybe that's no good, because I think you ruled out a
roller because you say it leaves marks that are unacceptable
too. You may have such high standards for surface perfection
that only perfect surface prep followed by spray painting will
meet them. That's the only thing I can think of for getting
a surface without any texture, marks, etc due to the application,
ie what you'd get with a roller or brush. I think in the
painting world though, painters frequently back-roll after
spraying. They use one guy spraying to get the paint on
quick, another to roll. I'm guessing that the rolling helps
hide the normal imperfections in the drywall that you'd
otherwise see.