Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How can I take out axial play in my ceiling fan? It's a Hunter.

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:30:41 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:19:10 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:19:03 +0000, Phil
om wrote:

Low speed , it is quiet, higher speed , rattles, I balanced the wobble
out of it years ago, have a 18" down shaft on the fan, checked the blades,
pushed up and down on the fan blades, arms, in the center of the motor
and have the play there.

Axial play shouldn't cause rattle. Even on high, the shaft/blade assy
shouldn't create enough lift to bob up and down.

Check for bent blade arms. If one is at a different height or angle,
it will cause problems at higher RPMs. Have you tried rebalancing it
lately? Self-adhesive lead weights have a habit of flying off when
you're not looking, or when being dusted. DAMHIKT.

Or when you and the misses play Strip Club and her garments get hung
up in the ceiling fan....been there...ah...never mind

I've never had a strong enough ceiling fan over my bed with which to
play "Spin the Petite Girl", but I've fondly thought of it often.

Gunner, hands in his pockets.... walking away whistling........

Whistlin' and grinnin', I'll bet.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.