Posted to uk.d-i-y
News News is offline

Default Living without electricity

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:41:31 +0100, News wrote:

Vaguely house hunting, as you do, we came across a lovely 4 bed cottage,
a mile away from the nearest small town. The house has private water
and drainage, and no other services. No road between the house and
town.

So only a footpath for access? Not even two tyre tracks across a
field?

google Not an old keepers cottage is it? I'll assume it is as your
description matches well.

Indeed. Most people seem to have found it :-)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...136.html/svr/3
105

I'm not really serious, but on some levels it is attractive.

Looking at the brochure (link in description above), which includes both
floor plan and map, that 80 acres includes a lot of trees. More than
enough to supply me with wood for the rest of my life. However, what is
doable now (age 61) gets less so as the years pass. Would I want to be
doing it at 70? 80?

Looking at the map and Google Earth, the track does indeed look like a
track, with limited, if any, vehicular access, even for a 4x4 or
tractor. Quad bike and trailer, perhaps? Imagine moving house. Imagine
moving all your possessions, the last mile on foot.

Interesting to note that the bathroom is described as a wash house, and
access is only available from outside the building.

Someone mentioned a washing machine. I told wifey I would buy her a
washboard. She could do the washing and form a skiffle band.

Did you notice the lime store? Presumably for treating 'waste
materials'.
--
Graeme