Edwin Pawlowski

Default Are spiral cutters really worth the price?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:43:59 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

My son uses one in the shop where he works. The little cutter heads are
4 sided and when they get dull, they get a couple of technicians to come
in and rotate all the cutters 1/4 turn. It takes hours to do it right
and hours=dollars.

What kind of machine? If you are comparing a big industrial unit against
the Grizzly, this would be misleading. I just don't think Grizzly has a
team of technicians wandering around your town to adjust cutter heads.

OTOH, the planer/jointer where I buy my wood I can believe it. Motor is
about 35 hp and will take 24" wide stock easily removing 1/2" or more at a
pass and doing both sides at the same time. It has a series of helical
cutters.
Ed