Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Living without electricity

News wrote:
This is not really a serious question, but your thoughts will be interesting.

Vaguely house hunting, as you do, we came across a lovely 4 bed cottage,
a mile away from the nearest small town. The house has private water and
drainage, and no other services. No road between the house and town. No
gas, electricity or phone. It is lived in (not a holiday home), current
occupants use stoves, fires, bottled gas lamps, paraffin lamps etc. Keep
in mind no road, so no bulk deliveries of Calor gas or oil. Sounds
idyllic in one way, but a nightmare in another. Huge plot, right on the
coast. Isle of Mull.

How would you generate electricity, if you lived there, full time? Or
would you not bother?

Already been there, done that. And after a decade it gets a bit wearing so
I paid the huge bills necessary to lay on electricity, water and to provide
foul water drainage and rainwater storage.

In the period before that I used solar panels (thermal and PV) for a time
to provide hot showers and low voltage lighting. We also had a number of
generators starting with a 750VA two-stroke, then a 2300VA frame generator
and finally a 5500VA "silent" diesel generator. Only the last was really
suitable as a substitute for mains. It can be run on heating oil which is
cheaper than diesel. Budget about a thousand to £1500 for something
similar.

But believe me toting fuel around, filling tanks, fetching gas cylinders
gets to be a PITA. It doesn't seem to matter how you plan there are always
days when you run out and usually at times when all the suppliers are
closed.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/