Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Living without electricity

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:18:30 +0100, Roger Chapman wrote:

You can buy 2kW generator sets for a few hundrerd pounds.

The only small generators I have seen have been petrol ...

Small diesels set are about, we have a 2 kVA one but it's frigging
noisy.

Also being small and lightly loaded it's not very effcient, the last
outage we had (36 hours) it drank about a litre of red an hour,
powering a fridge freezer, upright freezer, CH system(*) and fish
tank pump. Peak load in the order of 500W.

... and red petrol is unobtainable. :-)

If you jump through the right hoops with HMRC you can claim the duty
back.

(*) CH system takes around 300W all running, 4 pumps & oil boiler.

--
Cheers
Dave.