Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default How to start off a day the wrong way...

On 8/30/2013 11:58 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
So - I've been doing some work on my truck to get it ready for
plowing this winter. It's a '94 Silverado that only plows snow and
makes dump runs these days, with an occasional trip to Home Depot. The
frame rails have been rotting through and the truck has taken on
that characteristic bent-in-the-middle look of Silverado's of this
vintage.

snip
Nope - this don't have a damned thing to do with woodworking....

As a metal worker/welder/etc, I can relate. I NEVER use a hand
grinder without heavy gloves (and a face mask). And I will use a
smaller grinder with a coarse wheel over a big grinder with a finer
disc. Control is everything. And I take my time grinding off what
is needed. I can relate.
And unlike many people I have observed, I am very conscious of where
the debris/sparks are flying. Sometimes some flying sparks can
create some real problems. I also keep water/sand buckets (and/or
fire extinguisher) handy. I am also a big fan of wire brushes
(knotted) for cleaning surfaces before I grind.

As one of the mentors in my youth said, "Learn from this and never do
it again!"

I downplayed how I really focus on safety with these tools Lee, and your
comments are consistent with my practices. Yet - there I was... despite my
best attempts at being on my game...

This was really a "holy cow" moment for me this morning.

Of course the rest of my day was slowed down because I no longer had full
functionality of both hands. Can't tell you how many times I jammed that
thumb into something underneath that truck! Funny how you notice things
like that after a little shop incident...

And that my friends is why a saw stop makes sense. Because **** does happen.

--
Jeff