Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

On 31/08/2013 08:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
03:40:45 on Sat, 31 Aug 2013, John Rumm
remarked:
An app just needs to use:

http://developer.android.com/referen.../WifiInfo.html

Indeed - but an "app" is not a web page being rendered in a browser.

Why does that matter? It's just a demonstration of the capability, which
can also be made available on other platforms.

There is quite a difference between attempting to capture location
information from people using normal web browsers, and doing the same
using code of your choosing running natively on the client's computer.

Just using wifi makes it no easier for someone at the server end to
capture your location with a normal web server. Obviously with a
custom app at the client end, you can get far more information from
the OS and pass it back.

What concerns me is that the "code of [my] choosing" (running on the
client), could easily be something the user has innocently installed
themselves. Like a browser with "activate geolocation" ticked in the
options, let alone a feature built into the operating system.

Sure - the usual warnings apply. Note only the "normal" risk of trojan
software, but even the "helpful" bonus applications so many vendors will
try and give you when you install something else and fail to until the
relevant boxes.

--
Cheers,

John.