Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to start off a day the wrong way...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

So - I've been doing some work on my truck to get it ready for
plowing this winter. It's a '94 Silverado that only plows snow and
makes dump runs these days, with an occasional trip to Home Depot.
The frame rails have been rotting through and the truck has taken on
that characteristic bent-in-the-middle look of Silverado's of this
vintage.

A tale of woe
Nope - this don't have a damned thing to do with woodworking....

How much is that puppy worth?

Don't really know. 4 WD trucks hold their value owing to the winters around
here.

What does a replacement vehicle cost?

More than I've wanted to pay for a long time now. The truck has been paid
for for a long time and I never wanted to spend the money or incur a loan
for a truck just to plow snow and make dump runs. Up until now it has not
been all that bad patching it together as it needed. At this point, it's a
whole different thing. I'm debating the merits of buying a rolling chassis
and moving everything over, and of just replacing the truck with a newer
model. This fix was just something to get the truck through the winter and
then I'd worry about replacing it in the spring.

What does it cost to contract out snowplowing your place for a season?

It's not so much the cost as it is the way I plow. I have a long drive way
(350 feet), with a large parking area, and I plow way back into the woods
and lawn areas to allow for a full winter snowfall. It would be almost
impossible to get someone to plow the way I do all season long. I even plow
along the back of the garage to where my fuel fill is located so the
delivery guy does not have to trudge through the snow to get to my fill.

In the end - I may contract out plowing, but I never had to worry about it
over the past 30 years because I've always had a reliable truck of my own.

--

-Mike-