Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default How to start off a day the wrong way...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
So - I've been doing some work on my truck to get it ready for plowing
this winter. It's a '94 Silverado that only plows snow and makes dump
runs these days, with an occasional trip to Home Depot. The frame rails
have been rotting through and the truck has taken on that characteristic
bent-in-the-middle look of Silverado's of this vintage.

snip
Nope - this don't have a damned thing to do with woodworking....

As a metal worker/welder/etc, I can relate. I NEVER use a hand grinder
without heavy gloves (and a face mask). And I will use a smaller grinder
with a coarse wheel over a big grinder with a finer disc. Control is
everything. And I take my time grinding off what is needed. I can relate.

And unlike many people I have observed, I am very conscious of where the
debris/sparks are flying. Sometimes some flying sparks can create some real
problems. I also keep water/sand buckets (and/or fire extinguisher) handy.
I am also a big fan of wire brushes (knotted) for cleaning surfaces before I
grind.

As one of the mentors in my youth said, "Learn from this and never do it
again!"