Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Cold water valve on a hot water heater

On 8/30/2013 10:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Years ago, I took some fire protection courses. We
learned that globe valve equals about 70 feet of
pipe, angle valve is 45, and ball valve or gate
valve are nearly no added resistance. So, I'd
worry more about type of valve, rather than a
couple elbows.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/30/2013 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2013 8:49:42 AM UTC-4, novel wrote:
The valve I am talking about is the cold water

inlet valve. Yes, I could attach the hose to a washer ,
but there would be too many curves to get a good flow.
I would rather have a straight flow if possible.

What are you doing that the single-digit-% reduction

in flow from a few curves in the hose is THAT critical?
You would need to be running hundreds of feet of hose

before you'd start noticing any reduction in pressure/
flow due to losses from the hose not being perfectly
straight.

In fact, the losses in the TEE are more significant

than anything caused by the hose.

yes, a ball valve with a 3/4" NPT to GHT adapter is the ideal solution -
as it'll last longer than the washer in a boiler drain as well.

However, if you use one, I would get a brass GHT cap for the outlet,
preferably on a chain if you can find one, to cap off the opening when
not in use. All it takes is a misplaced elbow to take a quarter turn
ball valve from shut to WFO.

nate