Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint - still with the 'brush strokes' !!

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:09:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, August 30, 2013 11:25:52 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:04:27 -0700, Norminn wrote:

...snip...

When I varnish furniture, I thin the first couple of coats to get it

level and into the grain....nice and smooth. I've never been able to

roll paint on walls without getting the shadow effect where the roller

edges go. I think I have one more room to paint; lifetime limit )

Kitchen/dining area with beadboard wainscoating.

Thank you for this confirmation. That is, it is my contention that *IF* it

doesn't work well to paint with a brush by making 'small' problems;

painting with a roller will just make 'large' problems. Those were my

experiences, too.

It seems like you're more interested in finding someone who
agrees with your unique "problem". Pros almost exclusively use rollers
for flat surfaces, eg walls, ceilings and achieve excellent
results, without roller marks. The exception would be if it
can be sprayed, eg new construction. Even then, I think many
of them back-roll it because it leaves a better finish than
just spraying. I can use a roller without leaving roller marks.
I think others here have said the same. You need a good quality
roller of the right nap, good paint, and the right technique.

I think the biggest reason for roller marks is poor technique and poor
paint. If you don't keep a wet line as you work across a wall, you
can get roller marks. Under less than ideal conditions (too hot or
too dry), crappy paint can dry too fast to keep a good wet line. Also,
edging too far ahead can cause roller marks for the same reason. Latex
paint forms a single film across the entire surface, if the wet line
is preserved.

Now back to possible solutions.

Three options:

1. paint, sand, paint, sand, paint with thin - a lot of work and time, but

comes out beautiful!

2. flow on coating ONCE - very difficult to do

3. paint, keep going. When tack free, coat again - VERY difficult to time

properly

With the surfaces along a very sunlit hallway, and the curved edges around

the four sliding doors to the outside, all being within inches of your

face; it is important to make look as good as possible.

Plus, another effect. There is a subtle change in the way the rooms look

when the walls are painted properly. Difficult to describe. Similar to

when rooms are clean; just subtly better.

I'd be looking at what most of the rest of the world is doing,
rather than re-inventing the wheel with a complicated, time
consuming process. If that Dunn Edwards paint dries so fast
out of the can that you can't brush it on, I for sure would not
be buying it again for starters. Maybe it's time to get some
Benjamin Moore, a Purdy roller and watch a few youtube videos
of pros.

+1

Cheap paint isn't worth the money "saved".