Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wond[_2_] Wond[_2_] is offline

Default Sides get cut off Toshiba 29L1350U, thinking of exchanging forInsignia NS-28E200NA14

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:24:54 -0700, jaynews wrote:

I recently bought a Toshiba 29L1350U LED backlit TV. When viewing 480
(Non-HD) widescreen material via the antenna or composite input, the
sides get cut off a little, which is annoying when watching a certain
financial news channel that begins with the letter B. No other TV in my
house has this issue with the identical signal via the identical type of
input, and I've tried all the settings on the Toshiba TV, etc.

I've called Toshiba tech support, and they admit they can't resolve this
issue.

I'm thinking of exchanging this TV of an Insigna NS-28E200NA14, which is
slightly cheaper (but only by $10) It's 27.5 inches versus the 28.5
inch Toshiba.

I'm assuming the Insigna won't have the "sides cut off with a 480i
widescreen signal via the composite input" issue. (and if it does, I
could always take it back as well)

I just wanted to ask if you think exchanging for the Insigna is going to
be a mistake in the long run, due to the brand being more likely to
break than a Toshiba? I'm told Toshiba is supposed to be one of the
more reliable brands. Is this really still true?

Would I be better off just learning to live with the sides getting
slightly cut off on the Toshiba, rather than accept an "off brand" TV
like Insignia, or do you think the Insignia is just as good a TV in
terms of reliability?

(and..BTW...yes, I have a good reason for viewing 480 (non HD) material)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

J.

I wonder if this a problem with the Toshie upconverter, and if you
could circumvent it, for testing, by doing the upconversion in a separate
unit, a DVD player of the correct vintage perhaps.