Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold water valve on a hot water heater

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:53:37 PM UTC-4, novel wrote:
On Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:52:53 PM UTC-4, Retired wrote:

On 8/29/13 4:09 PM, novel wrote:

I would like to add a attachment to this valve so I could use the cold water attached to my garden hose. Is this possible and how? Preferably not to cut the pipe above it and below it.

Is this valve soldered to copper pipe, or threaded on iron pipe ??

YES, its soldered to what looks like a 1" copper pipe and no elbow in sight.

Is there an elbow nearby ?? It might be easier to replace an elbow

with a tee and add hose faucet/bib to the tee.

what is a tee and faucet/bib? Sorry, but thanks

Google is your friend. Just google "copper tee", "hose bibb".
Also, I doubt that the copper water pipe coming into the WH is
1". 3/4" would be more common. Basically you're going to have
to do what you don't want to do, cut the pipe, then solder in the
appropriate new stuff, eg a tee, adaptor, and hose bibb. I'd probably put
the bibb somewhere better located though, so that if it drips,
someone opens it, etc it's not pouring down on the WH.