Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer excessively on

On 29/08/13 19:09, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:18:11 +0100, Ian Jackson

In message , Huge
writes

On 2013-08-29, AnthonyL wrote:
I defrosted the freezer last week and now the compressor seems to be
running nearly, but not, all the time. I say "seems" because I'm not
encouraged to be in the kitchen that much and my wife says that is how
it usuall was.

It is an AEG under counter freezer and sits next to a sister fridge as
they have for around 20yrs.

I pulled it out today and got rid of a lot of cobwebs and dust. The
freezer compressor unit was uncomfortable to touch whilst the fridge
was just warm to the touch.

The temperature is fine at -18degC and the seals are clean. If I was
pressed I'd say there was a bit more gurgling than usual (is that the
right description of the refrigerant going through the pipes).

So is it on its way out? Did I damage something? Or have I forgotten
what work it has to do when we have a proper summer?
One of the failure modes of the thermostats is "continuously on". Keep an
eye on it to make sure it does stop occasionally ...

Yes it does stop occasionally. If the thermostat is failing wouldn't
it get excessively cold?
Only if it's failed in the "continuously on" mode. But since the only
other failure mode is "doesn't run at all", it seems unlikely to be
the thermostat.

You haven't accidentally pressed a 'fast freeze'* button, have you?
*Which bypasses the thermostat so that a defrosted and reloaded freezer
gets down to its operating temperature as quickly as possible.

No. But after I defrosted last week I put the fast freeze button on
and usually after 3-4 hrs the freezer would have been well cold, but
it wasn't and it was running 100%. I turned the button off then.

That was my first hint that things weren't quite right.

lots some of the refrigerant.

ditch.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.