Posted to alt.home.repair
Hot-Text[_4_] Hot-Text[_4_] is offline

Default Exterior latex primer?

"Peabody" wrote in message
I have some large fir beams that stick out from under the roof line, and
they
have deteriorated. The beams were last painted with exterior latex paint,
which didn't work very well in keeping the moisture out. So I'm going to
be
digging out the rotted parts and putting in filler.

Always Clean with Regular Bleach first

But some portions of the beams are still ok, for now. Do I have to remove
all of the latex paint, and then put on an oil-based primer/sealer in
order
to get good protection? Or would it be possible to leave the good parts
as
they are, but cover them as well as the repaired portions with a latex
primer? I see that Valspar has a latex primer, and perhaps there are
others
that would work.

Always Clean with Regular Bleach first

It would be very difficult to remove all of the old latex. The beams are
quite rough, with lots of raw wood texture, and I'm concerned that even
with
a chemical stripper I wouldn't get all of it out. And you know, if
possible
I'd like to not make a career of this.

Always Clean with Regular Bleach first

I should say that in the end the beams will be painted with the same
exterior
latex paint I'll use for the trim. So I guess I was just hoping I could
find
a way to stay with latex all the way through, and avoid issues of what I
can
paint over what. But I'm just not sure that will work for a fir beam
sticking out in the rain. I have made metal caps for the beams from
gutter
stock, and that may help some.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Always Clean with Regular Bleach first