Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lead free plumbing solder

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

Has anyone used tool station's lead free (plumbing) solder? I
previously used the Fernox brand from screwfix but I see there is a
price difference of a few pounds. I don't mind paying more for the
fernox if it is better; is it?

My plumbing technique seems to have got better since I bought a new
blow torch. The one I had previously, a £10 cheapie from Wilkos have a
very broad flame and I don't think that helped.

I find 15mm fittings easier to do than 22mm ones. I seem to apply the
solder to the 22mm fittings before it is hot enough to flow properly.
I guess that's because it is a bigger fitting and takes longer to warm
up. Any tricks of the trade to know when it is ready for the solder?

Heat it as fast as possible, making sure both sides of the joint
(e.g. fitting and pipe) are being heated. If there's a part which
is going to take longer to heat (such as a large brass fitting, or
larger pipe), play proportionally more heat on that, and start with
that join. By the time you've done it, the other joins may well be
almost up to temperature by conduction anyway. If you take too long,
the flux can be long gone and the copper starting to oxidise before
you've soldered it, and then the join probably won't work.

Normal tip is to just momentarily touch the end of the solder on the
join. When it's nearly ready, a tiny blob will come off and stay on
the pipe, and when it's completely ready, the blob will be sucked into
the join by capilliary action, and you can then apply more to make the
join. Don't use too much - you should see a thin silver ring all around
the join (check behind with a mirror afterwards), and ideally no drips
on the pipe, although that's a finer level of perfection which many
plumbers never manage. Do some practice ones which you unsolder and
pull apart afterwards, and check for a complete line of tinning around
the pipe and inside the fitting, to confirm it was a good seal.

I am still using the yellow pot of Fry's flux, so don't need any more
yet, but I see la-co also make some which is cheaper. Is that just as
good?

There are different types of flux, in particular acid flux is
supposed to work better on old manky pipe, but mustn't be used on
gas pipework. I prefer to clean the pipe and fittings beforehand
with steel wool (don't leave any in the pipe or fitting), in which
case you get reliable joins without using acid flux. There's
different flux for leaded and unleaded solder too.

--
Andrew Gabriel