Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StephenB StephenB is offline

Default Milwaukee Hole Hawg handle replacement

William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:10:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:40:05 AM UTC-6, William Bagwell wrote:
Have an old one from the early 70s that still runs. (snips)

There's always JB Weld and a can of black epoxy paint...

Sort of what I did fifteen years ago when it broke the first time. Minus the
spray paint. Just got the new handle today and I think it is going to work out
well. Both the forward / reverse and trigger switch will fit their respective
holes with no modification. New handle has a molded ring marking where to drill
for the trigger lock, so some engineer at Milwaukee deserves a big thank you
for that.

Four screws that attach the handle to the drill remain usable. However the two
that hold the halves of the handle together will now need to be three with a
different thread. New handles no longer have brass inserts, nor do they come
with screws :-( Did remember the rubber cord protector but failed to order the
inner metal strain relief. Think I can find one on a more modern dead tool...

http://alt-config.net/hole-hawg-handle.jpg

It looks to me that the cord should get clamped between the two sides of
the handle. I expect the inside of the other half of the handle sticks
out and presses the cord into the void between the two holes about 3/4
inch above the bottom of the handle.

The above would explain the additional screw being added to the assembly
(though I would have expected them to be placed higher up).