Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] docholliday93@gmail.com is offline

Default Recycling

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:32:34 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
snip
I've never lived anywhere that the LA supplies any sort of container for
general waste. They supply one for recycling, but we have to supply our
own bin bags. I choose to put mine out in a heavy duty plastic bin, to
keep it from being torn open by scavengers, but it is not required.

Back when I was younger and living with my parents it was the norm for you to buy your own (normally galvanised steel) dustbin(s) - but then recycling hadn't been heard of (for domestic waste, anyway). I think in my first house I had to buy my bin bags, but ever since then it's been the norm for the council to provide. (You're still paying for it, of course, just not so directly).
Currently I live in a road where half the houses have no front garden, and therefore the council have elected not to give us the wheelie bins that other roads have. They supply a limited number of bags each year, and in theory at least will only collect waste if it's in one of their bags. I believe you used to be able to buy extra bags, but they're now saying that's not possible, just recycle more - doesn't worry me as I never use my full allocation anyway.