Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Anti-fatigue mats

On 8/27/2013 11:22 PM, Bill wrote:
I was just looking at anti-fatigue mats online, to put in front of my
bench, over the cement.
Is there a popular choice here, or a favorite? I won't disclose what I
looked at (online), but there was an 8x price difference between the
"solutions". I've also got some left over carpeting I could use that
may be alot better than nothing.

Bill

My opinion and it's just that mine.

The mats that interlock are better for a gym floor or kids play area. I
find my muscles tired at the end of the day after being on them. I
bought a couple of mats at woodcraft, and they have been much better.
More dense so your muscles are spending less time re compensating for
the softness, which in turn means that they are re-balancing you all day.

While carpet is a pain to clean, a very tight mat carpet is better than
the interlocking mats.

Definitely cover the concrete floor, your tools will thank you when you
drop a chisel. I put hard linoleum tiles on the floor and my chisels
will take a bite out of it rather than nicking an edge. Hopefully it
hits a mat.

--
Jeff