Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default OT Car repair

On 8/27/2013 8:55 PM, Tegger wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

On 8/27/2013 8:38 PM, Tegger wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

nobody ever removes the block drains,

Only knuckle-dragging hacks and driveway grease-monkeys fail to
remove block drains.

'splain to me why then I am apparently the first person to touch them
on pretty much any car I get...

'Cause all your cars were worked on by the above-mentioned persons.

Or *not* worked on, as the case may be... seems that a "coolant flush"
anymore consists of a simple drain and refill; if you're lucky you might
get the lower hose pulled and rad backflushed.

although it's understandable as sometimes that requires starter
removal etc.

On what cars? I've yet to encounter a block drain that required more than
hoisting the vehicle. But then I've never worked on a Porsha or a
Zaporozhets.

Studebaker V-8 for sure, although you might consider that to be old and
obscure. I did it on my Jeep 4.0 as well, but I already had the starter
off to inspect the flexplate (wanted to check for the common cracking
issue while I had it up on ramps) so I'm not sure if I actually had to
or if I could have made a little shield to deflect the runoff over top
of it.

nate