Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Anti-fatigue mats

dpb wrote:
On 8/27/2013 10:22 PM, Bill wrote:
I was just looking at anti-fatigue mats online, to put in front of my
bench, over the cement.
Is there a popular choice here, or a favorite? I won't disclose what I
looked at (online), but there was an 8x price difference between the
"solutions". I've also got some left over carpeting I could use that may
be alot better than nothing.

I've used several alternatives to custom-purchased --

a) an old PU bedliner mat fits handily in front of the chopsaw bench
in the barn alleyway where it's set up -- it was in the used 4x4
bought and for my purposes of a truck they're more bother than worth
there so re-delegated it...

b) several old cattle/horse barn mats from the milking parlor -- one
of them is in front of the bench.

Keep an eye open, stuff shows up where you may not expect it.

Like Swing, other than a couple of places I found over time that the
mats in the general shop area end up being more aggravation than worth
as don't stand in one spot in the other places besides the benches
long enough to make any difference on comfort and they're a nuisance
in cleanup.

I have noticed that those times one is working on the floor it is nicer
to sit or kneel on a piece of carpet than the concrete.
You know how they say, "everyone wants a bench like they started with".
My dad built his a little too tall for himself, so he made a carpeted
stand about 3" high to put in front (so he could reach everything). And
what was his was mine... : )

It has been interest to note the range of opinions. I think that the
opinions highly-correlate with what people are doing. For instance,
I'll be doing some relief carving. I'll compare standing on my carpet to
the concrete and see if it makes any difference to me.

Bill