Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Car repair such as radiator flush and fill

From what I remember, the OP did flush the system
with tap water, so traces of old anti freeze isn't
an issue.

And what if he didn't? The mixture would end up
being too rich, and he could later drain a couple
quarts and replace with water. I don't see this as
a big concern.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/27/2013 10:19 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 00:14:52 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:AcbTt.206277$Dy1.79803
@fx18.iad:

So the total system is 14 quarts. He adds 7 quarts of pure, and that
some how makes it way off?

It does if he's failed to pull the block drain (if applicable) and/or
opened the heater-control valve (if applicable).

Around here (NY State, USA), we run 50/50
glycol to water.

I'm two states north of you, and we use the same proportions. But those
proportions start with *known quantities and fresh fluids*. Failure to do a
full drain introduces variables, and not good ones.

When you drain, you flush. If you don't, you are foolish. If you
flush the block and heater contain clear water. If a 14 quart system
has 7 quarts of clear water left in it, adding 7 quarts of pure
antifreeze gives you the correct 50/50 mixture.
If you didn't flush the system you just wasted all the effort and the
new antifreeze you installed, even if by luck you DID get the right
mixture.