Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I just saw a home improvement tip that might work

On 8/27/2013 6:39 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/27/2013 1:12 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/27/2013 1:43 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I never tried this, but the tip says if you have a stripped Phillips
screw, you can put a rubber band between the tip and the screw to help
remove it.

Good idea?

Coarse valve grinding compound works better, if you have some handy.

nate

The supply houses were selling a squeeze tube of a grease like compound
that had grit in it and was meant to allow a damaged Phillips head screw
to be removed easily without the driver slipping. ^_^

TDD

That sounds like... exactly the same stuff

Can't blame them though, as your typical FLAPS probably doesn't sell
valve grinding compound anymore as hand-lapping valves is pretty much an
obsolete procedure. I think I picked up a little tin at an automotive
swap meet ages ago and still have most of it.

nate

I believe modern engines have hardened valve seat inserts in the heads
to resist wear since the lead additive, which would lubricate the valve
seats, has been taken out of gasoline. Of course you must have valve
seat inserts in aluminum heads but I think even iron heads need them
with today's unleaded fuels containing ethanol. I don't think good old
valve lapping compound with the rubber stoppered hand lapping tool would
work on the newfangled hardened valve seats. ^_^

TDD