Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Does my microwave diode look good to you?

"jamesgang" wrote in message
I've tested microwave high voltage with a regular meter. Carefully arrange
a few high ohm resistors in series across the high voltage supply. So the
total is 20 or more meg ohms. Like three 9.1m and one 1m. Use 1/2
watters as there will still be some current involved. Put the small one
on the ground side. Measure the voltage across the small resistor. Get it
all set up so you're not touching anything at all before you power it own.
Make sure none of your wires are close to anything else or a ground.
Based on your meter reading and the resistors you used you can calculate
the total voltage. Keep in mind you are still fooling around with deadly
voltages with enough current available to kill you in an instant. Proceed
at your own risk.

While you might get away doing it this way, look at the voltage ratings of
the 1/2 watt resistors. Most are rated for less than 500 volts , so you are
getting close or over the voltage ratings for many when they are in series.
There are some resistors rated for more voltage.
The meter leads probalby are not rated for over 1000 volts either, so make
sure you are not holding them incase the one on the ground side opens up.