Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Split rail PS

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I never had hum with my FFSS.

With the usual Garrard 301?

what else? But I was told, by a man from Garrard at a Radio Show, to
run a 60w lightbulb in series with the motor to reduce its magnetic
field.

It reduced but not eliminated it here.

In those days, I had good hearing and I couldn't hear any.

I'd imagine your hearing is still ok for mains hum? ;-)

I can certainly hear it when it turns up on sound sysytems.

I wouldn't say it was audible in normal use but definitely there is you
whacked the wick up while not playing a record.

I remember an alleged problem when RDS first came out. Went to see someone
near Wrotham, but on the back of a hill. He turned up the volume on one of
R3 long silent pauses to demonstrate, the next minute we were blown out of
our seats by the opening chord of something.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18