Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split rail PS

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There's no actual ground side as the pre-amp has a balanced input. The

Ah, that's whay the screening doesn't matter much.
However, it opens up the possibility for some other faults around
the balanced inputs having gone wrong. Check none of them have got
one side shorted to ground in the wiring or connectors. It could also
be that one side of a balanced input circuit has failed.

I'd expect to see a level reduction on that channel if it were one legged.

pre-amp is mounted as close to the arm as possible. The cart has an
output impedance of 2 ohms so as near a short as possible. ;-) But
I'll have a play.

Still worth testing with the outputs shorted - that might identify
a faulty balanced input stage.

Since both are the same it would be two identical faults?

(BTW, I expect it's the resistance
which is 2 ohms - I'm surprised it's that low, but I hope the
impedance is somewhat higher.)

The output *impedance* is quoted as 2 ohms by the maker.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.