Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Does my microwave diode look good to you?

"micky" wrote in message

Normally I'd say you should measure the voltages while it's in the
circuit. That's a little different here since you'd have to have the
cover off and that would expose you to a lot of microwaves. OTOH,
it's not working so maybe there are no microwaves. I hate to rely on
ma

I'm self-taught for the most part, but I would have just measured the
resistance directly with an ohmmeter, using the meter's internal
battery, in both directions. If one direction is many times higher
than the other, it's good. Even if I did it your way, I would do
it my way too, to see if the results confirmed each other.

It would be difficult for most people to measure the voltage while the
microwave is running. Not counting on any stray radiation,but at the
voltages in the microwave, it would burn out most meters. Also the high
voltage would most likely go through the insulation and into the person
doing the measuring.
Very few meters that are found are rated for much over 1000 volts, less than
half of what is used in many microwaves.

The ohmmeter in the common meters will not check the diode either. The
voltage drop across the diode in the microwave is more than the meter is set
up to measure in the ohms range. It is not around .7 volts as one would
find in the lower voltage diodes. Internally the diode is made up of
several diodes so the voltage drop is much more.