Chipper Wood

Default electrical question on 30A outlet

FWIW.
The key is the voltage that will be used...... If all of the devices that
will be used are single voltage 240 V. Then the ground should be used on the
third connection. Fire Underwriters requires any electrical device with
metal parts that might become accidentally energized must be grounded. A
neutral is not an acceptable grounding conductor. A ground conductor shall
not be used as a neutral. If any device to be used is 120/240 V. Then the 4
wire outlet must be used.

Usually 240 V. outlets are for a single device and serve as a disconnect for
servicing or emergency of only one unit. The amperage rating is for maximum
current disconnect. ( of course use also.) If one is using the outlet for
multiple devices, it must conform to the grounding rules for each device
used.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"xrongor" wrote in message
i just got done wiring my garage and as we forgot to buy one, he just told
me to go buy one later and put in a 220V 30A outlet. we wired it to the
panel and all, just left the wires loose in the box which is located right
below the panel.

the electrician told me to run the copper wire to the neutral prong

instead
of the white wire. his reasoning was that a loose copper wire in the box
could accidentally touch one of the lugs that was hot, but you could just
wire nut the neutral and it wont touch anything. this way i dont have to
trim off the copper ground wire and if i ever need to i can switch to a 4
prong outlet instead of a 3 prong one.

now i know how the neutral and the ground are related and connected, and i
dont see a problem. but im not an electrician.

so my question is, is the inspector gonna have a fit or is this a common
practice?

randy