Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split rail PS

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

Seems the small amount of hum left is coming from the actual cartridge or
wiring to it within the arm. (It's an SME arm) Unplug the connector at the
base of the arm and the hum goes - only a reasonable amount of hiss left,
with the gain full up. Fine at any listening level.

Try connecting just the ground side of the cartridge, and see if
that causes any hum.
Could also try fully connecting it, but with the cartridge output
shorted at source.

The arm assembly is mounted on wood so it's not a ground loop. Moving the
arm over the deck makes no difference to the hum - so I'd guess it isn't
coming from the motor. The wiring within the arm is single wires - but
then the arm itself should screen them? I've checked it is grounded to my
star ground point.

--
Andrew Gabriel