charlie b

Default Trash(ed) Chair Reborn

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

I appreciate your comments. BTW I forgot to say that I used some of that
hot hide glue(my first experience with that adhesive) to put the thing back
together. I think the stuff has a lot of merit. Certainly it is much
easier than Titebond or similar aliphatics to clean up and stain.

If and when you get around to restoring, reviving a spindle chair or
the like, look into a product called Waxilit -"sliding agent and glue
release".. Consistency of room temp butter. Put a little on a Q-tip
and spread a little around the OUTSIDE of the holes. After glue up
dried glue will pop off and a little alcohol on another Q-tip to get
the Waxalit off and you're ready to finish. Lee Valley carries a 7
oz
can that should last you half a life time or better.

TiteBond makes a liquid hide glue that works pretty well without
the hot glue pot and the associated smell. Set the container in
warm/hot water for a while and it's almost be sucked into a joint
via capilary action. Nice thing about hide glue is that it's
reversible.

The chair
is probably the most uncomfortable I've set in since I was an alter boy and
had to sit in on of those ornate, butt numbing, wooden thrones while
enduring the homily. I'll take Joat's advice and use a cushion next time.

Odd how we remember uncomfortable seats better than the really
comfortable ones - or maybe it's just a Catholic thing. You did
attend a Catholic school of course - with the Nuns From Hell?
I had both the Austrian Franciscans and the Brooklyn Reform
School Sisters of Mercy (an oxymoron if there ever was one).
I just recently realized why I have an aversion to hickory -
especially stick size hickory.

charlie b