Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 1144 vs 4140

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:40:54 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 10:47:03 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

I intend to make some bending fixtures for
use in my 50 ton hydraulic press. The maximum
i would be bending 3/8 x 6" hot roll plate. The
stock i have on hand is 1144 and 4140. Any
ideas on thee best choice of material for this
project?

Best Regards
Tom.

It depends on how and how much you're going to load it. 4140 is a lot
stronger but the question is whether you need the strength.

Comparing them in the normalized condition, which is a common
condition in which they're sold, 4140 has about 35% more tensile yield
strength, a few percent more hardness, a few percent more elongation
before it breaks, and about 20% - 25% more impact strength.

4140 is both tougher and stronger than 1144. Again, though, the
question of which is "best" depends on whether you'll gain any
practical advantage from the extra strength.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed, thats the info i was looking for. Gonna go with
4140.

Best Regards
Tom.

You're welcome, Tom. I've never bent anything as thick as 3/8" in a
brake, but it's gotta be a load on the fixtures. It sounds safer to go
with the 4140, not knowing what the loads actually are.

And if that doesn't handle it, you can get your second set g
heat-treated for a big boost in strength.

Good luck with it.

--
Ed Huntress