Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default 1144 vs 4140

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:09:38 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 10:47:03 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

I intend to make some bending fixtures for
use in my 50 ton hydraulic press. The maximum
i would be bending 3/8 x 6" hot roll plate. The
stock i have on hand is 1144 and 4140. Any
ideas on thee best choice of material for this
project?

Best Regards
Tom.

1144 stresspreoff is a delight to machine. Use it if you don't need
exceptional poperties, like long die life.

4140 can be more durable if properly heat treated.

Karl

Tool life is not a concern as these will be used maybe 4 times a year
to make an odd bracket i need. Does the 5 times saftey factor apply
to 1144? Say i want to bend 1/4" x 3" hot roll to 90 degrees will the punch
and die have to be 1-1/4" width to be safe?

TIA

Best Regards
Tom.

You're using the "that should be plenty strong" method. I'd go with
that. I would cheet on the punch a bit if needed.

A whole pickup load of punches and dies fell in my son's pickup on his
way home from work, about three feet each of every conceivable style.
Happens to be the exact width of my hydraulic press. I'll never need
to build one.

Karl