Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split rail PS

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:34:06 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When building a split rail low current PS with discrete components - like

I say +/- 15v - does it matter if the transformer doesn't have a centre tap
I on the secondary? It's just that I've seen circuits for both around. Some
I say to omit the centre tap connection to ground even if it has one.

There are ways to build +- psus with no transformer CT. One of the simplest uses a single secondary winding and 2 diodes, one giving a + rail, one a -.. The downside is larger reservoirs needed. There are other schemes around too. I think you'd need to give more info about your transformer, what rails you want, and how symmetrical the load is.

NT