Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Self-testing Telephone Line

On 25/08/2013 11:54, Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-25, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:18:34 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

If the line still sounds distorted, insist on an engineer's
visit. If you'd done this, they'd be hard pressed to prove it was on
your equipment and therefore apply any charge.

I'm afraid these days BT often apply the test of "no fault found on
our equipment" to justify a callout charge. This would be especially
so if when the fitter tested during the day no fault was apparent as
seems to be the case here.

We've had years of intermittent faults with successions of visits reported
"no fault found". I've never been charged for anything. And wouldn't
pay even if we were.

For about three years the broadband and then the phone packed up whenever
it rained. By the time the BT wireman (I refuse to call them "engineers")
arrived, the fault had always gone away.

One useful thing one of them did tell me was that it is helpful to run a line
test yourself when the fault is active, because they can recover the results
of that when they visit, even if the fault is not extant.

Which test is that? Have just tried 17070 on my own phone and when I
choose option 3 - test, it asks if I am authorised to run it.

--
Rod