Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default The movie "Argo"

wrote in message
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:11:22 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote in message

On 8/20/2013 10:41 AM, nestork wrote:

I watched a TV documenary made by the Canadian Broadcasting Company

about the movie "Argo", which supposedly documents what happened
during

the 1979 Hostage crisis in Iran.

Those of you who are old enough to remember know that in 1979,
religious

radicals overthrew the government of Iran. They stormed the US
embassy

in Tehran and took twenty-something American diplomats hostage. Six

American diplomats and agents were spirited off to the Canadian
embassy

in Tehran where they remained hidden until Canadian officials put a
plan

together to get them out of the country. Canada made up fake
passports

and ID for each of the hostages, and made up a story that they were a

film crew out to scout a location in Iran to film a science fiction

movie to be called "Argo".

The film has caused a bit of sarcastic humour here in Canada because
it

plays down the Canadian role in the crisis, and plays up the American

role to the point where it depicts the whole "Canadian Caper" as it
came

to be called as being planned and executed by Americans, with Canada

merely providing the embassy where it all took place.

Former President Jimmy Carter, while at Queens University in Toronto

receiving an honorary doctorate degree for his charity work commented
on

the film. He said he was disappointed to see that all of the heroic
and

imaginative things done by Canadians to get the American diplomats out

of Iran were left out, and they were largely replaced by even more

heroic and imaginative, albeit fictitious, things being done by the

supposedly "American" actors. He said he received updates every day
on

what was happening in Iran with the hostages, and it went down exactly

as the news reports of the time said it did.

Ben Affleck, who plays the hero in the story who hatches the plan to
get

the US diplomats out, and supposedly organizes and executes the whole

caper responded to reporters asking him about the storyline by saying:

"Don't learn your history from the movies."

C'mon guys. We really helped you guys out back in '79. Don't gloss

over our role and claim all the credit for yourselves.

since when, ever, have you known hollywood to get history right?

affleck is correct. what makes you think that we (the us) is doing so
when

you're referring to a movie (ie: fiction)?

The trouble is most Yanks don't know fact from fiction.

There's at least one here thinks Jesus was from America. (Or similar mad

theory)

Compared to most of the horse **** you believe and post,
that's far more plausible.

No Satan lives in America. Now THAT'S plausible.
In the pentagon to be exact.