Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default The Gun Hatin Neighbor

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

snip
Depends, doesn't it? His right to swing his fist stops at the other
guy's nose. If he's traveling the 1,000 feet to discharge his firearm
near the house of the neighbor, but has no interest in shooting for the
sake of shooting, seems to me that's being a nuisance.

I live where shooting is permissible. People exercise that right on an
almost daily basis. Trying to be a good neighbor, I keep my mouth closed,
as there are days when I may do things that others don't enjoy. If a
neighbor chooses to turn something legal in to a ****ing contest, he's
obviously not in his right mind, or he's the typical young guy, who thinks
the world revolves around him, with the rights of others having no meaning
to him. What he needs is to be taught a lesson---one whereby he learns to
tolerate the actions of others when they aren't illegal. You can bet your
butt he'd expect others to tolerate his actions.

Harold

I looked up the restraining order information online. In Illinois you can
get a restraining order from someone interfering with something you have a
right to do, But, it has to be a relative or someone you've dated, been
engaged to, or something like that. I don't understand why it's OK to
interfere with someone's rights only if you're not related, but this is
Illinois, our Governors frequently go to jail, the last state with concealed
carry, the court had to force them.

I'm interested in talking to the person that owns the land next to his
house. If I tell them what's going on, they may give me permission to shoot
on their land or sell me an acre or so. If all else fails I'll move and
build a shooting range on this property.

But before I do any of that, I want to write this neighbor a nice letter
asking for his feedback on coming to a solution to this problem. Maybe a
sound deadening wall, maybe certain times that he's not sitting outside, not
home, or not sleeping.

Both he and I have property on both sides of the road. I had a place to
shoot on the side of the road where he built his home but I moved my
shooting across the street, from my field to my yard, to try to be
considerate of him. They came over to complain so I moved my shooting on
the other side of my house to try to please them. I didn't shoot often for
a few years until I assembled some AR's and wanted to test fire them, make
sure they feed reliably, sight them in, target practice, etc. Then without
even hearing a complaint from them, he came over right behind my house and
started shooting on a Sunday morning around 6:00 AM.

When being waken up by the shooting the first time, not having any idea who
or why, not long after the Adam Lanza nut, if he hadn't been gone by the
time I got dressed and got outside with my gun there's a good chance he'd
been shot if I thought he was trying to harm us.

RogerN