Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default circuit breaker as an input device

On 8/24/2013 10:23 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Bob wrote in message
Has anybody pointed out that breakers are designed to be ON most of
the time, and once in a while kick OFF? and Switches are designed to

I've seen plenty of businesses that use the breakers to turn things on/off
at the ends of the day.

You will see lots of things done, but that does not make it correct.

There are some breakers that are also designed to be used as switches an can
be cycled off and on many times with out a problem.
http://ecmweb.com/qampa/code-qa-usin...reakers-switch

NB that that applies only to fluorescent or high-intensity lighting
circuits. I'd have to look up precisely the Code definition of
"lighting circuit" to have 100% confidence but I'm pretty sure it
doesn't include a general circuit that has one or two fluorescent
fixtures included but is fluorescent-only or almost only load on same.