Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Paint - still with the 'brush strokes' !!

On 8/24/2013 10:35 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:58:41 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

...snip...

way too thin. the label will state how much you can thin it and also
the expected drying time. there's also an 800 number you can call to ask.

i also only use dunn-edwards, and also live in your area. it is pretty
thick when first poured, probably to help the complaint about drips
off the roller as someone else previously stated. i get good coverage
and it takes a couple of minutes to dry enough to the touch to not
leave fingerprints. i don't get brush strokes when i edge, and rolling
doesn't leave any marks either. i use flat on the ceilings only, and
eggshell on all the walls. i've even partially painted walls with
paint that was stored in the garage for a couple of years, and not
been able to see the difference in texture or color.

you should take your can, a brush, and a piece of wallboard to the d-e
store and show them. they should be able to help you; i see lots of
paint pros in my store when i'm there and the staff is very
knowledgeable and helpful.

I will try the 800 number, the employees at DE didn't have a clue.

Uh,...take a CLOSE look at your paint surface. Bet you have more
'ridges' there than you believe.

When I'm done with a wall it 'looks' flat, beautiful, BUT! There is one
type of light that hits it that highlights the strokes. Plus, I'm
personally cursed with some visual 'dis'-ability defect that causes me
to see them in plain light. Especially show up at edges and corners
where strokes overlap. Rolling leaves a pattern that my eye seems to
catch. That is, rolling the paint on, not me rolling.

At the DE store EVERY sample color they have on the wall, painted onto
individual pieces of boards, looks like worse corduroy than I'm
fighting. So must be a case of people don't notice.

SOLVED, well a bit. Paint normally with thick, then sand flat with 220.
Two times if have to. Then, surface with 'watery' paint. Makes for
almost NO brush strokes whatsoever.

When I varnish furniture, I thin the first couple of coats to get it
level and into the grain....nice and smooth. I've never been able to
roll paint on walls without getting the shadow effect where the roller
edges go. I think I have one more room to paint; lifetime limit )
Kitchen/dining area with beadboard wainscoating.