Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shaun Shaun is offline

Default Which Brandss of cordless phones most reliable

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Shaun wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Shaun wrote:

They are dirt cheap wonder boy IF you go to a dedicated battery store
and
get the cells or have them make a new pack for you their. If you go to
regular department store you'll pay an arm and a leg for the batteries.
The
prices are so bad at regular store you might as well buy new phones!

Who pays retail for batteries, if they repair electronics? The
Panasonic batteries were under $4 a set, the last time I looked into the
cost.

The Uniden phones I had on the other phone line died before their
batteries, and they were cheap Nicad packs that sell for under $3.

BTW, ar there 'Irregular department stores'?

Where do all of you knuckle dragging fools come from? I hope you
aren't the dumbass 'Shaun' I worked with in Cincinnati, in the mid
'80s. OTOH that's highly unlikely, since he should be dead of alcohol
poisioning by now.

What have you ever done in electronics, other than hang around
'Regular department stores'?

I have Two College Diplomas, one In Electronic Technology and the other in
Biomedical Technology. I Certified as an Engineering Technologist in my
Country. I have an Advanced amateur Radio License just because.

I have worked in a Hospital for 15 years testing and repairing Medical
Electronics - it was a one Man shop.

Good for you. I started repairing electronics in 1965. Back when the
entire RCA replacement transistor line was germanium transistors, and
the cross reference was the size of a small movie poster, or a fold up
price chart for tube prices. At the end of my time in manufacturing, I
was hand soldering ICs with leads spaced .015" center to center under a
stereo microscope and doing a better job than the brand new Heller
reflow oven.

My God..... you must be really old!! Germanium transistors... I've
replaced a few of those. I've never had to work with a microscope, I guess
you needed it to see your dick.

That reflow oven wasn't set up right or you werent using enough flux!. It
should look the same a skilled hand soldering.

I have worked at repairing industrial electronics and doing calibrations
of
different types of meters for 4 years.

Yawn, I built Telemetry equipment for the Aerospace industry for four
years. I also worked as an engineering tech, did failure analysis and
worked in the cal lab. Some of my design work went into orbit as part
of the ISS, and I was a broadcast at three TV stations from the early
'70s to the late '90s. I have a letter of commendation from the US Army
for work I did at a station in Alaska. I never bothered with a ham
license, since most of the hams I knew were lids. Too stupid to solder
a mic plug, or wire a straight key to a 1'4" plug. They would blow up
their rigs, and I would repair them.

I've built a repeater controller in College for my final project. It sent
out morse code ID, it had voice and you could change the way it operated
with a DTMF pad on a radio tuned to the I/P frequency. It was pretty fancy
for a college project.

I have built a medium sized Tesla Coil that makes 4 to 5 foot sparks in
all
directions.

Built one bigger than that in 1969. Anyone who can read and chew gum
at the same time can wind the output coil for a Tesla coil.

I doubt yours would have preformed that well. There is a LOT more to it
than that. There are a lot of calculations to determine the secondary
resonant frequency, primary frequency range, mutual inductance, coupling,
matching the step up transformer to the capacitor size so that you get the
most power output; stuff like that.
Otherwise it is hit or miss and you may tune the tesla coil to work on a
harmonic which results in lower power output and improper tuning.

My output coil is wound on 4.0 inch white PVC tubing, thin wall which is
ideal. I sanded in inside and outside, cleaned it with alcohol and let it
dry while blowing hot air threw it. Coated the inside and outside on the
PVC tube with 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane to seal it. I put the coated
tube in the freezer so it would shrink, then I wound the coil, no kinks, no
overlaps, no spaces between turns, about 1200 turns of 26 gauge magnet wire.
Then over the course of two weeks I coated it 12 times with polyurethane
while it was slowly turning and I'd sand away any air bubbles that I saw.
It worked very well.

Shaun

I built a two meter repeater on 146.01/61 MHz for my school's ham
radio club. One of the TV stations I worked at was an empty building
before I laid out the equipment room, installed the transmitter and
processing racks. That was a 1952 model TTU-25B UHF TV transmitter on
Ch. 58 that was built by RCA. Parts were no longer available from RCA,
since they were out of the broadcast business. That only made the job
slightly harder, since there had been no new final tubes made for about
20 years, and no company had managed to rebuild one that could put out
anywhere near the rated power. Nice water cooled stainless steel jugs
with 7 KVDC across the coolant. Twin 1000A 1.5V filaments that had to
be balanced by stretching copper bussbars used as variable resistors.

I build my own computers and fix computers.

Anyone with a screwdriver & box of parts can assemble a computer. Let
me know when you design your own from scratch.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.