Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A fluorescent lamp question for the old timers

On 8/23/2013 11:28 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:14:14 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:838ef959-5b79-43d0-933d-5a96bd03ecb3
@googlegroups.com:

Correct me if I’m wrong

OK, you're wrong.

but as I remember
when fluorescent lamps went into common use
they used to say that they would last twenty years.

I never heard anyone make that patently absurd claim.

The claim was made. And some of them DID last 20 years. I had an old
circline fixture that I threw out because I was sick of it and it was
at least 20 years old - and still working - on the original tube.
Then they brought out the "green " tubes - and the first 5 or six I
bought didn't last a year - - - -. Same with the first CFLs I bought -
they went off like popcorn.

We have a Circline fixture in the hall in front of the clothes dryer and
it is turned on and off quite a bit. I put a new bulb in it 8
years ago and it's still bright with no blackening around the connector.
It's also not a Greenie Weenie light. ^_^

TDD