Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default A fluorescent lamp question for the old timers

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:57:40 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Correct me if I’m wrong but as I remember
when fluorescent lamps went into common use
they used to say that they would last twenty years.
Now they’re saying the same thing about LEDs.
I was at a store and saw these LED light fixtures,
so I asked the guy if he sold the LED light bulbs for them.
The salesman said that the LED light bulbs for the fixtures weren’t
replaceable and that the LEDs would last twenty years
and I wouldn’t need to replace them
but would have to replace the whole fixture when that happens.
I bought this cheap multi LED flashlight a few years ago
and one of the LEDs has been going out every few months
until now I only have one or two of them left that still comes on.

It sounds as if you are assuming that the LED are the problem. It could be
the circuitry, connections, etc.

Well there are only two connections for each LED. And there is no
etc.

Also, these lamps could have the same connection problems his
flashlight has

I too have LEDs going out in my flashlights but I haven't tried yet to
find the problem.

The quetsion with both lamps and flashlights is, How hard will it be
to get them apart, and back together again.

If this were a non-LED flashlight and the flashlight itself went bad, you
probably replace it, but it wouldn't be because of a burnt out LED.

The same thing could be true for the LED fixture.