Jay

Default Any reason I shouldn't get the Dewalt DW618B3 router kit?

(Philip Hallstrom) wrote in message . com...
Hi everyone -

I'm in the market for my first router (just getting started) and after
reading a lot it seems the DW618B3 (fixed, plunge, and d-handle bases)
is a pretty good package.

Haven't seen any real negative comments about it and saw some posts
saying it's compatible with all the porter cable fixtures.

Northwest Power Tools has it for $265... that's the cheapest I can
find. They've got the same thing minus the D-handle for $220, but
seems the d-handle alone goes for $99.

Any one think of a reason I shouldn't get this kit?

Thanks!

I you go looking for a reason not to do something, you can more often
than not find it. I love my DeWalt router, no complaints (its the 1
3/4 HP one).

Every brand of every manufacturer has individual instances of bad
product entering the market, some more than others. I bought a
top-of-the-line Sony TV which promptly broke. I exchanged it out for
another, which promptly broke. At that point, I was moving in a month
and decided not to have to move a 100 lb TV. My Sony laptop, digital
camera, walkman, and cordless phone all work great and have for years
(well, one year in the case of the wife's picturebook laptop)

It took me a while to realize that one bad apple is not a condemnation
of an entire company nor a statement on thier quality as a whole.

The only thing I can think of as to why not to buy the kit is that you
might find you never need nor like using a D-handle. I bought the kit
with just the fixed and plunge. Fixed base goes in the router table,
plunge sits on the shelf waiting until I need it. I can't fathom
needing a D-handle. I've never used one, but _personally_ wouldn't
feel as safe using a router one-handed.

YMMV.